There are a lot of really good generators available. Most issues relate to installation and maintenance.
Maintenance is the issue you can control. Pay close attention NFPA 110, chapter 8. Your weekly inspection and monthly tests help familiarize you with the equipment and catch problems before they become major issues.
Make sure you have a set of manuals. Follow the manufactures instructions.
Here are some of the issues we get called out to correct.
- No fuel. Make sure you have adequate fuel. Keep the tanks full. You do not know how long you may need your generator during an emergency. Diesel fuel is the best. Natural gas can be trouble.
- Batteries should be changed every 24-30 months. See NFPA 110, A.188.8.131.52.1. An old battery may be fine for starting your car, but you do not want to depend on it for LIFE SAFETY. Look at this video:
Battery Specific Gravity and Conductance Tests
- Keep your radiator clean.
- Have the system professionally inspected and serviced every 6 months.
- Protect the system from rodents and other chewy critters. Including snakes!
- Keep wasps out and the enclosure or surrounding area clean. Do not use it as storage!
More content coming soon..
All information expressed by Standby Power Solutions, LLC or its officers is strictly the opinion of Standby Power Solutions, LLC.
Standby Power Solutions, LLC disclaims any liability for any personal injury, property, or other damages of any nature whatsoever, whether special, indirect, consequential, or compensatory directly or indirectly resulting from the publication, use of, or reliance on this website or any information derived thereof. Standby Power Solutions, LLC also makes no guaranty or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of any information contained herein. Anyone using this website should rely on his or her own independent judgment, or as appropriate, seek the advice of a competent professional in determining the exercise of reasonable care in any given circumstances. ©2021 by Standby Power Solutions, LLC. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without express written permission.